In 1942, William Coons, a seminary student, made a survey of the Beechwood area. Results showed there was sufficient interest to start a church. The services, which began in the summer of 1942, were held in the former Beechwood School.
In September 1943, the site at 269 Douglas Avenue on the north side of Holland was purchased for $1,650.00. Following the purchase, a chapel was donated and moved to the church property. Beechwood soon outgrew the modest chapel and built a new church building on the same property in1947.